Re: a webmin replacement for etch...

Hi,

as we have this as a topic for tomorrows IRC meeting, it's probably good to
prepare the discussion here, to have a short meeting :)

On Monday 16 October 2006 21:18, Christian Kuelker wrote:
> The Version 3.2.12 is not release yet. It is tested now by the French team.
> But it is planned to release it soon.

When? We plan to release debian-edu-etch ASAP after debian-edu and we would
like^w^wneed to test it before, so you should aim for a releasable version
now.

> > So I looked for the cipux sources, and as far as I can see, the latest
> > sources (as debian source packages) are at
> > http://debiantest.cipworx.org/dists/sid/main/binary-all/
>
> Well yes a subset is there but only for testing. You should use
> debian.cipworx.org

Hm, the archive layout is non-standard and I couldn't find source packages
there on a quick look - can you please point me to them?

> > But there are two tar.gz there:
> >
> >  cipux_3.2.11-1.tar.gz       10-Oct-2006 06:48  16.7M
> >  cipux_3.2.11.orig.tar.gz    25-Aug-2006 23:08  26.4M
> >
> > And I'm a bit confused by the 10 megabyte size difference...
>
> Because it is a subset. Some of the functionallity is not tested for
> Debian-Edu. I also would suggest not to import the hole into Debian.

Ah. Do you have scripts in place to do this split automatically or how is the
import supposed to happen?

> > Anyway, it seems cipux also needs two more packages, which are not in
> > debian yet: libauthen-simple-pam-perl and.libauthen-simple-perl. The
> > latest source versions (as debian packages) I found are located at
> > http://backports.cipworx.org/dists/sid/main/source/perl/
> Xavier has made also baclports for that as far as I know.

Shouldn't _you_ know which are the ones we are going to use? :)

But so I got it right, these two perl packages also need to be packaged and
put into the archive. Right?

Xavier, can you please file ITPs for those packages?!

> > Based on these packages (or newer versions of them) I want to install
> > cipux on a debian-edu/etch-system. But the instructions on
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/CipUX/Installation/3.2.12 are targeted
> > too much at sarge and manual installation. For debian-edu/etch we need
> > automatic installation and configuration. [...]
> The reason for having a manual installation manual and not a script can be
> found in the debian policy.

I know the policy, I follow #311188 :)

Obviously it's suboptimal^w bad to introduce more policy violations, but a.)
there are ways to achieve this and not violate policy (but this mostly needs
changes in the (other) packages we need to configure and b.) manual tweaking
is no option as we want an easy installation as possible.

> So you should apply the nessesary changes
> directly to the files in you SVN

What are they? Do you have a file which describes them? (for etch)

> From the bas CipUX packages this are.
>
> cipux-common
> cipux-cibot
>
> Then you have base support.
>
> If you want a GUI or other sofware connected to CipUX you must install:
> cipux-rpc
>
> On top of that you can have for example
> cipux-cat-webmin (which is not a good choice, because of dependecies)
> cipux-cat-apache (which is not released, replacement for cipux-cat-webmin)
> cipux-cat-moodle (alias cipuxPHP, developed by the French team)
>
> cipux-cat-moodle is used in production in France. But there is a security
> revision undergoing right now, so it seems that it can be improved.

I've created http://developer.skolelinux.no/~holger/needed_packages.txt now,
please check if this is correct.

cipux-cat-moodle is the infamous php-frontend? ;)

> If you want to have SAMBA support you can configure this or wait for
> cipux-samba which might release with 3.2.12

I'm not so familar with the webmin-solution we have in sarge, but I guess we
need this?!

> You should skip the following
> cipux-deploy
> cipux-client
> cipux-notifier

Ok. Why? (I'm curious :)

> > As a second step, these three (if that is correct) source packages should
> > be uploaded to debian-edu and debian.
> >
> > Also, I have to admit, I have not fully understood the CipUX
> > architecture: quoting from the wiki-page: "CipUX is made up of several
> > parts: on bottom is the LDAP server. On top of that, the LDAP abstraction
> > layer CipUX::?CiBot can be found. Then the CipUX::Task module delivers
> > daily administration task functions to different institutions: (1) The
> > graphical CAT user interface. (2) The CipUX shell command line, and (3)
> > the RPC daemon."
> >
> > So what we really want/need for Debian-Edu is CipUX/CAT. Correct? And
> > CipUX/CAT is the php frontend to CipUX?
>
> cipux-cat-webmin is the full blown up Admin Tool normally CAT
> cipuxPHP (alias cipux-cat-moodle) is a subset
> cipux_task is the commandline interface

You didn't mention cipux_task so far, from what I read on the german wiki I
think it's very useful so I added it to needed_packages.txt. I guessed the
package name is cipux-task (as the others), right?

> > It seems this requirements are also met by GOSA (used by the
> > LiMuX-project (linux in the city of munich) and phpldapadmin (and maybe
> > others, any hints?).
> This is an LDAP browser and not customized for teachers.

Are you sure, have you used it or recently looked at the screenshots ? To me
it looked like a very easy to use webapplication...

> cipux-cat-apache can be a solution, because it uses most of the
> functionallity an 90% of the code of cipux-cat-webmin but without root
> privileges.

Is cipux-cat-apache ready to be used?

> > 1. packaging CipUX takes very long (read: too long for our release plan
> > to release shortly after debian/etch has been released) and (maybe) the
> > resulting packages will not be accepted into debian-edu because of
> > security issues.
> Then make a review. This offer is on the table since January.

But there are no sources packages on the table, so a full review cannot be
made.

> I also would like to support you in every way I can do.

Great!

regards,
	Holger