Re: some topics from the last meetings

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:36 +0200, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> Hi All
>
> After reading the backlog of the last IRC meeting I saw that there are some
> points where I missed to give more feedback.
> Therefore I will try to answer the questions which raised up yesterday via
> this mail. Please do not hesitate to ask me on IRC or answer to the list on
> this thread.
>
> topic 2. Our installer is currently broken because the
> debian-edu-profile-udeb.prebaseconf script is not running and thus we don't
> have running networking inside the chroot and cfengine won't run.
> I am currently investigating in this issue. For that we also have to see at
> which state the d-i people are and what exactly they propagate to etch :)
>
> topic 6. 2.0r1 point release:
> Shortly before Extremadura we thought about preparing a point release for the
> 2.0 version. This means we add a lot of security fixes mostly from the stable
> security team to the CD. In addition to that we added newer package versions
> from the local repository which had to be rebuild for the archive transition.
> We also went for an ext2resize backport from Petter.
> During Extremadura we build this version and it is out for some general
> testing[1]:
> I personally can confirm that it is running on my test machine and in a qemu
> session. Please feel free to do some additional testing and give me some
> feedback. We can give it out after we got some success stories and pleace use
> as much machines as possible ;)
> Please also notice that it is no complete new release and therefore there are
> no new features or something like that, please don't expect it, it is just a
> point release :)
> We also build this version even before the new kernels went into sarge queue,
> because we really don't want to spend time on the 2.0 release.
> For more information of how we handle the stable tree and other suites please
> look at the ArchivePolicy[2].
>
> topic installer base system:
> The last question was about the base for the installer and if we should switch
> to sid instead of using d-i from etch, because the d-i team is developing in
> sid. Though I personally like to see the newest changes going into the
> installer and that it is working perfectly I am against the idea of using sid
> instead of etch. One point for that is our CD build system. Currently we
> build the CD (daily builds) for etch and etch-test on administrator and the
> last sarge ones on developer.
> For that we are using svn versions of debian-cd . But because of some changes
> (keep in mind that the whole installer and debian-cd is changing every day) I
> decided to stay at one svn checkout (of course a newer one than we used for
> the sarge version, but I guess it is some weeks old, definetely before the
> changes for the graphical installer went in).
> You should also keep in mind that we are patching debian-cd on the fly to make
> [...]

greetings steffen :)

i have to wait for partman-auto/13 before doing any more serious
partitioner testing. i will try to spend some time on sizing the
partitions in the recipes.

about the builder:
if i tried to adjust our debian-cd.patch to not break against the
current svn version of debian-cd. to try to keep a little more up to
date on the build system. would you have time to test it on
administrator ? i understand you have much going on now, but you have
account on administrator

A separate test account would be wise, so we are sure not to mess up the
working builder. We migth actualy have to keep them separate until sarge
EOL, to build the sarge 2.0rx images in the old builder.

about the installer:
i think we can use the daily build d-i  from sid to install etch. then
when d-i in etch freeze prior to the realease we use that from then on.

yes we have to do it twice... but i think it's time worth taking since
many installer issues are fixed in sid's d-i. and when we release terra
we will face the same issues again. or we can wait for the BETA3
migration. but that may take some time.

Ronny