Re: Localisation to East-African Languages

Hey Petter, thanks for your hints:

Am Freitag 16 Juni 2006 11:58 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> Remember that to do l18n, you need to have a locale for each of the
> translations you want to write.  Do these have locales for glibc?

Does this mean that we need the locale in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ ?

The most comprehensive list I found was the file list of locales.deb:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=locales&version=stable&arch=all&number=all

There is Wikipedia portals for Kiswaheli (sw) and Kikuyu (ki). Both
locales seem to be missing in locales.deb.

Same case with Debian package "locales-all in testing, architecture
i386. Package contains 4599 files, displaying files 1 to 4599."

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=locales-all&version=testing&arch=i386&page=1&number=all

So this seems to be a task to big to solve in a couple of hours.

> That is the first task to fix.  Do they need special keyboards?  That
> is probably the second task.  When these are fixed, you can start
> translating.

There is no special characters needed - English or American standard
layout is used AFAIK. Maybe we start top down rather than buttom up:

XML files for kturtle (Logo commands), documentations, ...

Regards
Ralf