Re: Subversion repository set up for testing

On 2005-10-09 14:53:00 Frode Jemtland wrote:
> Wednesday 22. June 2005 23:58, wrote Øyvind A. Holm:
> > On the Skolelinux gathering in Bergen a couple of weeks ago there
> > was some talk about converting the Skolelinux CVS repository to
> > Subversion <http://subversion.tigris.org>, which brings many new
> > features, for example renaming of files and directories, atomic
> > commits, global revision numbers, versioning of symlinks and
> > properties, etc. I suggested to set up a Subversion repository for
> > testing, and I ran a convertion of the CVS repository as of
> > 2005-06-20 17:16:37 UTC wich resulted in 43395 revisions.
> <SNIP>
>
> Hi Øyvind.
>
> We want to do this migration in the end of this week. And as you have
> done this once, I' wondering if you want to assist us doing it with
> the real repository. Are you coming to the gathering this weekend ?
>
> I'm not sure what is the smartest, doing the transition on Thursday,
> before the gathering, or doing the transition on Friday, on the
> gathering. Do you , or anyone else having any comments on this ?

Yes, I can convert the repository, have a setup which has worked very
well for other big repositories. I can start the conversion at any time,
it will take about 5-6 hours, I suppose. The CVS repository should be
read-only during the conversion so no commits get lost.

The committers would probably like a warning before the repository goes
read-only to get a chance to get rid of pending commits, so if the CVS
repository is made read-only at, let’s say Monday or Tuesday, I can do
the conversion and rsync the repository to developer.skolelinux.no where
it is copied into place. Would Tuesday be fine?

To get svn available over http/WebDAV Apache 2.x is needed, but I
suppose an upgrade of the Apache httpd server is not an option at the
moment. With the current setup on developer.skolelinux.no the Subversion
repository will be accessible to committers over ssh and if a svnserve
process is set up, also available to anonymous via the svn:// protocol.
It should work well.

So, whenever you find it suitable, the CVS repository is set to
read-only and the conversion could start. There is a problem with disk
space on developer.skolelinux.no though. The new repository will use
around 2 gigabytes. The only partition at the moment with enough space
to host it is /skolelinux/developer/local0/ftp/skolelinux-cd which has
17 Gb free space at the moment. If it can be stored there, some symlink
magic can fix up the path to the repository.

Regards,
Øyvind A. Holm
--
#!/bin/bash