Re: Kde-edu, GCompris, Gimp

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 03:59, CP Hennessy wrote:
> RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> > iceWM is maybe a good replacement for KDE, but having more than one on
> > the CD could be confusing. Rather swap KDE with Gnome - but then I'd
> > still go for kde-edu which leads to contradiction...
>
> IceWM is not bad, but if you want to give the users something close to what
> they are used to, then having icons on the desktop for them to click on is
> needed. IcwWM does not seem to do this natively :(
> However idesk can do this - even if it has limited features and not the most
> robust.

IceWM is just a windowmanager. It can be used with Gnome, and probably
KDE, but it's not a full desktop, so it can't really replace either of
them.

IMHO there are 3 desktop options; Gnome, KDE, and xfce. There might also
be some nextstep based alternatives, but I haven't looked at them, and I
dunno if they have the user-base to bother looking at them. Of the
three, xfce is the best "low end" solution.

If you guys are more concerned about how they look; by default KDE and
Gnome are both windows-like, wheras xfce4 is more OSX like. All of them
could be tweaked to look more or less like something else, but I dunno
if you really want to expend the effort.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>