Re: Both diskless (thick) and thin clients out of the box?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> During my stay at the edubuntu conference this weekend, I got an idea
> for an extention to the current network structure:
>
> We can keep LTSP for the thin client servers, serving thin clients on
> the thin client network like today, and add lessdisks on the
> main-server to serve think clients on the skolelinux network out of
> the box.  We can use the same DHCP configuration for both workstations
> and diskless (thick) clients, and the workstations will just ignore
> the pxe information and boot as before, while the diskless clients
> will fetch the kernel and mount the root directory from the main
> server.
>
> The idea is to provide more flexibility out of the box.  If one want
> to use thin clients, these will still stay on a separate network (to
> keep the trafic out of the backbone network).  If one want to use
> thicker clients without any local disks, these can be booted using PXE
> on the backbone network.
>
> As far as I can see, the only change we need to do is
>
>  - enable lessdisks on main-server out of the box
>
>  - modify dhcp for the skolelinux (backbone) network to use lessdisks
>    for PXE booting.
>
> Comments?

You can even make it use ltsp or lessdisks after which NIC you're
connected  to (or more specific, which IP-range you get)

But I think we should focus on getting a thin client setup that works
out of the box. I have asked the current maintainer of LTSP in
debian-edu/skolelinux to fix this for some months now, and it still dont
work.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/