Re: cdd-adm, sauce for custom debian distribution administrators

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:44:44PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
  <snip/>
> What I have in mind is a program that helps administrators
> to configure their custom Debian distribution.
>
> At user side it is like apt-get, hence the name ccd-adm.
>

>  cdd-adm setup
>
>    This sets up parameters for a system.
>    It asks the class of a system  ( e.g. server, workstation,
>    thin-client server ), domain name and other site specific
>    information.

Most of the information should be in the debconf information of the
packages that are used. If not (yet) in the original package it has to
be stored in a cdd-adm database, most likely also debconf based.

>  cdd-adm install <package>
>
>    Updates the configuration file of <package>
>    The actual work sysadm have to do with their editor(tools),
>    but now automated.

scripts for doing so will be in

 /var/lib/cdd/info/foo.postinst

like dpkg does.

>  cdd-adm install-complete
>
>    Does `cdd-adm install` for each package that is listed for the class
>    of system as defined in the setup.

This one is executed after base-config of a plain Debian install.

>  cdd-adm update
>
>    Get fresh configuration.in and scripts from a (remote) repository.

There is the real power of cdd-adm:

  updated configuration independend from the package

> It could be that I'm re-inventing cfengine. Yes, the idea is the same:
>  Keep installation and configuration seperated.
>
> That is what IMHO is also the idea behind Debian policy about _not_
> changing conffiles from other packages.
>

> > I think we come closer to the core of the problem when looking at
> > the *packaging system* as the problem. In it's present form it is
> > not fit to deal with upgrading conffiles or config files, while
> > it should be.
>
> The *packaging system* is fine, at least leave it as it is
> and focus on the configuration files.
>
> Let `apt-get install foo` allow to leave an unuseable conffile,
> repair it with `cdd-adm install foo`.

By making `cdd-adm install foo` a wrapper around `apt-get install foo`
it is for custom debian distribution administrator one action.

Cheers
Geert Stappers