cdd-adm, sauce for custom debian distribution administrators

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:13:11AM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:04:09AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I believe the local admin (or the CDD tool behaving as if it was the
> > local adming - in violation of Debian Policy 10.7.4) can't blame the
> > packaging system if changing conffiles into something else than files.
>
> I think we come closer to the core of the problem when looking at
> the *packaging system* as the problem. In it's present form it is
> not fit to deal with upgrading conffiles or config files, while
> it should be.

What I have in mind is a program that helps administrators
to configure their custom Debian distribution.

At user side it is like apt-get, hence the name ccd-adm.

 cdd-adm setup

   This sets up parameters for a system.
   It asks the class of a system  ( e.g. server, workstation,
   thin-client server ), domain name and other site specific
   information.

 cdd-adm install <package>

   Updates the configuration file of <package>
   The actual work sysadm have to do with their editor(tools),
   but now automated.

 cdd-adm install-complete

   Does `cdd-adm install` for each package that is listed for the class
   of system as defined in the setup.

 cdd-adm update

   Get fresh configuration.in and scripts from a (remote) repository.

It could be that I'm re-inventing cfengine. Yes, the idea is the same:
 Keep installation and configuration seperated.

That is what IMHO is also the idea behind Debian policy about _not_
changing conffiles from other packages.

> I think we come closer to the core of the problem when looking at
> the *packaging system* as the problem. In it's present form it is
> not fit to deal with upgrading conffiles or config files, while
> it should be.

The *packaging system* is fine, at least leave it as it is
and focus on the configuration files.

Let `apt-get install foo` allow to leave an unuseable conffile,
repair it with `cdd-adm install foo`.

Cheers
Geert Stappers