Re: Updating the web pages (Was: Free and why it will last forever)

Am Sonntag, den 07.08.2005, 16:49 +0200 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> On 07-08-2005 14:52, David C. Weichert wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 07.08.2005, 13:35 +0200 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> >

> >>Personally, I want to be able to work offline on web pages, and
> >>commit/upload them to the server when I get online, and I also want to
> >>get an email with the diff of the documents whenever something is
> >>changed on the web pages.  I would also like to be _able_ to update
> >>the web pages.  Neither of these wishes are fulfilled on
> >>skolelinux.org today.
> >

> > Which is a pity since Zope/Plone - which is used - has all these
> > features. There even is a WYSIWYG HTML Editor for non technical people
> > (see demo at:
> > http://www.zfl.uni-bielefeld.de/personal/mjablonski/epoz/index.html) and
> > of course you can upload plain HTML via ftp.
>
> It is possible to setup Plone so that one can accumulate changes while
> offline and later commit them?

Per default Plone/Zope don't have something like pre-commit editing. So
all changes are applied immediately. I somehow think though, that if you
keep looking long enough you might find a Zope product that does just
that. However, my experience with Roxen CMS, that has such a feature,
tells me that non-technical users not used to CVS are often not able to
understand the concept.

> And same offline-editable data is
> WYSISYG-editable online?

Epoz (WYSIWYG-Editor) uses HTML or XHTML, also when used for the Wiki (I
would discourage using Wikimarkup parallel, although that is possible).
So you can either edit online or upload the HTML files via ftp.

> >>Are there wikis around which work the way I want it to work?  Are
> >>there wikis available making it easy to administrate and handle
> >>translations?
> >

> > There is a Wiki for Zope/Plone (ZWiki). I find it very good. Ubuntulinux
> > work with it for their documentation.
>
> As far as I understand it, in Plone data is _either_ wiki-editable _or_
> WYSIWYG-editable _or_ CVS-editable.

Wiki and WYSIWYG is definitely possible. I demonstrated it to Kurt and
Christian last Weekend. CVS I'm not sure.

Regards
David