Re: "What Business Can Learn From Open Source"

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 04:16:50PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I found this on slashdot.  Very good essay based on a talk from Oscon
> 2005, <URL:http://www.paulgraham.com/opensource.html>.
>
>   [...]
>
|  The most famous example is probably Steve Wozniak, who originally
|  wanted to build microcomputers for his then-employer, HP. And they
|  turned him down. On the blunderometer, this episode ranks with IBM
|  accepting a non-exclusive license for DOS.

The guy is comparing with the view from the establed (arrived) companies.
He says HP & IBM lost money by giving other companies a change.

And what me worries most is that
 "accepting a non-exclusive license" is called a blunder

>   [...]
>
> It go far in explaining why free software work as well as it does.

It does tell about Freedom without using the word Freedom.

What I really mis in the essay is the price of Freedom.

Cheers
Geert Stappers