Re: NetInstall: Deploying workstations by PXE boot

Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:37:21AM +0200, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
>
>>RalfGesellensetter wrote:
>>
>>>Dear List,
>>>

>    <snip/>
>
>>>Sunday, high noon, we watched a wokstation booting Skolelinux-Venus via
>>>PXE, asking for profiles and language, which all went very quick.
>>
>>Why do you continue to work on Venus ?
>

> Please read "Skolelinx-Venus" as "an available Skolelinux server",
> so neglet the (old) version indicator.
>

>>>Now, there is not an end, but a bend on the road: The initramdisk
>>>forwarded to the client is hardcoded to install from local CD drive.
>>>AFAIK, Geert already asked for its location in CVS, because adapting
>>>the source is better than hacking the image itself.
>>
>>The initramdisk is fetched from upstream debian-installer, I think.
>
> Could that be confirmed?

Since we use debian-cd to build the CD, the initrd is built to have the
udebs needed on the CD.

We use debian-cd with the patches from
svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-edu/trunk/src/build/CD/debian-cd.patch

I guess there should have been a build/netinst as well, but not sure how
that will work.

but then, maybe that is were someone would volunteer :)

> Right now I have the unplesant feeling that my
>
>   "Hey guys, Debian-edu could be better"
>
> is exprienced as pressing where it hurts   :-(

I know debian-edu could be better, that is why I continue to work with
it. But I would like more people to contribute instead of complaining.
So I welcome anyone who has an idea on how to make debian-edu better,
especially if they can make it better.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/