Re: multilevel configuration

[moving to debian-custom]

Monday 20 June 2005 23:03 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> it still does not solve the issues of applying global choices across
> packages - like preferred language, secondary languages, sound daemon,
> desktop suite (which reflect choice of mail client, web browser, chat
> client, file browser and default theme on OpenOffice) and so on.

In CFG, I think the idea was to use references on the absteaction layer to
link or point to settings (values) in other parts (nodes) of the  abstraction
tree.

Setting the defaults for redundant settings, that are commonly scattered
around (like DNS settings etc.) to be pointers to a node that represents a
system default could then reduce the redundancy. (On the abstraction layer)

So for example changing the default language (locale) would also set the
package selecion tool to include that language (possibly a default debtags
query argument to get the localised package selection).

Aside to default to the central prefered language the meta-config description
file of the package selection tool includes the steps necessary to activate
any changes. So changing the prefered language can result in drawing in and
downloading the corresponding language files of installed packages. (To
download or not would be a "meta variable" that only exists on the
abstratcion layer, a CFG setting mapped into the package selection tool's
node. Another example for a meta variable could be things like the sound
deamon, in case no separate system file exists for that setting.)

---

I could't follow (up) much discussions the last weeks. Regarding me looking at
"tweaks" though, I think I may have had a wrong impression first. The tweaks
idea seems to work perfectly with CFG, just as with other config management
tools.

In fact a tweaks package with CFG defninitions in it might be the proper
debian-way to provide a central repository for them when they are not part of
the packages themself. (Refered to as "web repository" in some CFG proposal.)

- Christian