Re: multilevel configuration

On 20-06-2005 09:42, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:39:29PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
>>[Jonas Smedegaard]
>>
>>>And you are sure the packages owning those configfiles (and maybe even
>>>conffiles) you replace with symlinks properly handle their files being
>>>replaced with symlinks?
>>
>>Your question only focus on a very small part of the issue.  The
>>bigger issue is upgradability when configuration has changed (and some
>>times when the configuration haven't changed).
>>
>>I am quite sure several of these packages do not handle upgrades
>>gracefully when the configuration files are changed.  This is what I
>>want to solve by adding support for multilevel configuration.
>

> What is "multilevel configuration"?

Cobaco took care of that.

> How will it fit in the debian-edu-configuration[1]?

..and somewhat of this too.

In case someone thinks we then found a way around Debian Policy 10.7.4,
I believe that is not the case: If "we" as Debian-edu (or is the distro
called Skolelinux still?!?) use same approach as debian-edu-config to
bring multilevel configuration to packages that does not provide it
themselves, then it is in violation of debian Policy 10.7.4. If "we" as
Debian implement multilevel configuration then it means not only doing
the technical solution but also convincing the package maintainers of
all relevant packages to adopt the solution and mantain it.

That's why I suspect long-term solution to take time...

Oh, and sorry Petter: I actually agree with you that for the longer term
multilevel configuration is a good approach. Better than debconf preseeding.

But it still does not solve the issues of applying global choices across
packages - like preferred language, secondary languages, sound daemon,
desktop suite (which reflect choice of mail client, web browser, chat
client, file browser and default theme on OpenOffice) and so on.

 - Jonas

- --