Re: Stateless thin client server?

Am Montag, den  6. Juni hub Petter Reinholdtsen folgendes in die Tasten:

Hi!

[TS without any local state]
> This could be implemented by storing the config info in LDAP, and
> having some scripts on the thin client server looking up the MAC
> address of ever client trying to boot from it, and then generate the
> needed configuration files on the fly.

> Would this work?

Hmm, I'm not a friend of making services normally unrelated to databases
query a DB for every request the services has to serve.

I would suggest a new Tool for hardware management (aka
Facility Management :)) where an admin can/should/must "register" the
hardware he's running and can to this in a hirachical(?) way.

e.g.

 * workstation01
  + MAC
  + IP
  + hostname(?)

 * worktstation02
  + aMAC
  + aIP
  + aHostname

 * TS01
  + YaMAC
  + YaIP
  + YaHostname

  * TC01
   - tcMAC
   - tcIP(?)

and so on...

I know that this is controverse to your solution, but would make it
possible to build netgroup/classes of hosts... out of this *and*
allow to generate dhcpd.conf, ltsp.conf on per TS basis and put this on
the TS in question *if* something *changed*.

With this, we would lose the dependency on LDAP for *booting* the
clients. One could argue that LDAP is neccessary for login and so on,
but this would be a cooler/clearer architectury.

Just my 0,02 EUR

Ciao
Max
--