Re: wlus / User Administration

On Sunday 29 May 2005 23:10, Kurt wrote:
> * Finn-Arne Johansen <faj@bzz.no> [050524 14:24]:
> > Halvor Dahl wrote:
> > > 7. Technical architecture
> > > -------------------------
> > > It was agreed that we need a three-tier application architecture
> > > for user administration in Skolelinux to be able to support
> > > different types of user interfaces.  WebMin is probably not the
> > > right tool, and we will decide on a new development framework
> > > as part of the overall project.  We will also create a new KDE
> > > client covering all operations currently defined as use cases
> > > in wlus.
> > >
> > > TODO:  Select development framework.  Will be done later.
> > >
> > > TODO:  Create updated use cases as starting point for new KDE
> > > interface and user documentation.  Person to do it will be
> > > assigned later.
>
> Do we have to install KDE on tjener?
> What about schools without KDE?
>
> > > TODO:  Create new user administration interface in KDE.  Person
> > > to do it will be assigned later.
> > >
> > > TODO:  Write new business logic in a three-tier application
> > > architecture.  Person to do it will be assigned later.

> We dont think that this is very usefull because of two reasons:
> 1) If it is not usable by browser, it is too unflexible
> 2) Develop a KDE Application will consume too much manpower

I think you missed the point here:
the idea is to decouple the code handling the logic, from the code drawing
things on the screen, this creates a more flexible (and thus better)
program structure with several advantages:
- those developing can concentrate on either the gui or the logic at one
time, making development easier, and thus likely faster
- gui-development and logic-development can be done by different persons,
without them having to learn the ins-and-outs of both
- make it easy to switch from webmin to something else (wether webbased or
not) _if_ we ever need to for whatever reason
- makes it possible to develop several frontends (webmin/kde/...

(note: I don't read the above as anyone planning to competly drop the
web-interface)
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team