Re: wlus / User Administration

* Finn-Arne Johansen <faj@bzz.no> [050524 14:24]:

> Halvor Dahl wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > SLX Debian Labs is starting a project for improving user
> > administration in Skolelinux/debian-edu in general and
> > wlus in particular.  The background for the project is
> > mainly feedback from users.

In Summer 2003 we startet in Germany a intensive discussion about
the user requierement specification for a school server.
Based on the opinions of many German teachers the following
quality management paper was developed:

http://developer.skolelinux.no/qualityManagement/DQ/requirementsSpecification.html.en

Please have a look at 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 concerning user administration.

We would really like to see this taken into serious consideration.

> > We had a meeting in Oslo on this subject with Andreas
> > Schuldei, Ragnar Wisløff, Knut, Vidar and myself present.
> > What follows is based on conclusions from that meeting.
> >

> > 1. Problem with "junior admin" rights
> > -------------------------------------
> > This issue has been raised from (among others) Trond from
> > Kongsvinger.  Password administration takes too much time,
> > and it should be possible to authorise users to change other
> > users' password.
> >
> > Andreas told us that there is already a solution to this,
> > although it is not 100% packed and documented yet.
> >
> > TODO:  Ragnar will try the solution out in Kongsvinger and
> > report back to Halvor if it works or not.  If it does work,
> > Andreas will complete a "read me" file or something for
> > documentation.

we fully agree, see 2.1.4

> > 2. Password policy
> > ------------------
> > We agreed that the first time a user logs in (with a pre-
> > defined password), he will get a message saying that the
> > password is expired and be requested to enter and confirm
> > a new password (this is similar to Windows).  Whether this
> > feature will be configurable or not is not yet decided.
Why are you thinking this is necessary?
Will this feature not consume a lot of time and interrupt the lessons?

> > Andreas told us that administration of password restrictions
> > (length, numbers etc) is already implemented in wlus, including
> > a user interface for administrator.
> >
> > TODO:  Andreas will check if pam in our setup can do this.
> >
> > TODO:  Andreas will check if kdm can be used to do the entering
> > and confirmation of a new password (it can be done in wlus).
>
> Also check for samba users - Is the new password set in kde also set for
> samba users. What about schools that uses Windows clients, and were
> (some) students never would log into kde, but only use Windows
>
> > 3. Mass import
> > --------------
> > Kongsvinger has reported a general problem doing mass import
> > of user data into ldap.  Ragnar informed us this had to do
> > with the general poor performance in entering new users which
> > takes approximately 5 minutes per user(!).  We do not know
> > at the moment the reason for the problem.  Kongsvinger has
> > around 2700 users in their ldap database.
In our experience the time consuming factor is the copy process
for example the /etc/skel.

> > TODO:  Ragnar/Trond will try to increase the cache_size
> > parameter in the ldap config file.  If that does not help,
> > they will try to install ldap 2.2 which should be 10-100
> > times faster than the current version in Kongsvinger (Andreas
> > told us that wlus is functioning together with ldap 2.2).
> > If that does not help, some serious debugging will need to be
> > done.
> >
> > Update:  Ragnar has tried to change parameters in ldap config
> > file and it did not work.
We made the same experiences.

> For that amount of users, I would done this without wlus - as an ldif
> instead. While this is possible to script, I know of few who has done
> that. (I've lost my script - it was on Ulsrud, and the server is
> reinstalled - sorry)
Of course ldif is faster, but without refinement of home
directories and without copying /etc/skel.

> > 4. Other wlus problems
> > ----------------------
> > There has been some general complaints about the user interface.
> > This will be addressed later in this summary.  Apart from what
> > is already covered, there are no known major bugs in wlus.
> > But there is no good and updated user documentation.
> >
> > TODO: Create a new user documentation for wlus.  Person to do
> > it will be assigned later.
> >

> > 5. Data import
> > --------------
> > Knut and Halvor had a meeting with Morten Dahl who is the project
> > manager for FEIDE.  Based on his recommendations we decided that
> > we would use the XML interface developed by Uninett ABC for importing
> > data from School Administration Systems (SAS).  Further clarifications
> > will be done together with Uninett ABC.
> >
> > Skolelinux will *not* use Cerebrum for anything.
Is Cerebrum dead?
May you please explain this in a more
detailed way?

> > There are a number of different data formats for student data.  Among
> > them are Microsoft Active Directory, Novell eDirectory and different
> > kinds of spreadsheets.  In order to have a documented specification
> > we will use the same XML interface for transferring data from external
> > systems other than SAS.
> >
> > TODO:  Andreas will do what is necessary to support a new unique
> > key in ldap for data import.  In Norway this will be "personnummer",
> > but the format will need to be generic.
>
> Note - "Personnummer" is not unique in Norway - there are at least 4
> instances of personnummer with more than 2 users. I have not yet heard
> of 2 users with same name _and_ same "personnummer"
>
> > TODO:  Write a program for importing data from XML interface to
> > Skolelinux' import format to ldap which is a comma/colon separated
> > file.  Person to do it will be assigned later.
Please consider also German systems.

> > 6. Data export
> > --------------
> > There are a number of systems that may need to import data from
> > Skolelinux.  Examples are LMSs like ClassFronter, It's Learing!
> > and Micrsoft Learning Gateway.  We decided to use Uninett ABC's
> > XML interface for User Administration Systems (BAS) for exporting
> > data from Skolelinux.
> >
> > TODO:  Write a program for downloading data from the Skolelinux
> > ldap database to Uninett ABC's XML format.  Person to do it will
> > be assigned later.
Our export is ldif, the import filtering should be done by LMS or
M$.

> > 7. Technical architecture
> > -------------------------
> > It was agreed that we need a three-tier application architecture
> > for user administration in Skolelinux to be able to support
> > different types of user interfaces.  WebMin is probably not the
> > right tool, and we will decide on a new development framework
> > as part of the overall project.  We will also create a new KDE
> > client covering all operations currently defined as use cases
> > in wlus.
> >
> > TODO:  Select development framework.  Will be done later.
> >
> > TODO:  Create updated use cases as starting point for new KDE
> > interface and user documentation.  Person to do it will be
> > assigned later.
Do we have to install KDE on tjener?
What about schools without KDE?

> > TODO:  Create new user administration interface in KDE.  Person
> > to do it will be assigned later.
> >
> > TODO:  Write new business logic in a three-tier application
> > architecture.  Person to do it will be assigned later.
We dont think that this is very usefull because of two reasons:
1) If it is not usable by browser, it is too unflexible
2) Develop a KDE Application will consume too much manpower

> > 8. Project plan
> > ---------------
> > SLX Debian Labs will propose a time schedule for the projsect
> > after decisions have been communicated to everyone involved and
> > reactions from users taken into account.
> >
> > TODO:  Make project plan for new user administration system in
> > Skolelinux.  Person to do it will be assigned later.
Perhaps we should first fulfill the user requirement specification?

> > 9. +++
> > ------
> > Andreas told us about two other parts of wlus that needs
> > be improved:
> > (1) regression testing framework
> > (2) special permissions for exams
> >
> > Activities related to this will be integrated into the overall
> > project plan.
> >

> One problem with wlus, is that it's very skolelinux specific. There are
> a number of different applications out there for Ldap User
> Adminsistration. When we investigated this ~mid 2003, we found that none
> of them was suited for our use. They were to specific.
> After that we also have made wlus very skolelinux specific.
> My question is if it's possible to be less SKolelinux specific, and
> maybe gain further user base within Debian ?
> --
> Finn-Arne Johansen
> faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/
> Leverandør av support på, drift og videreutvikling av Skolelinux-løsninger

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
--
kurt@skolelinux.de