Re: [debian-edu] (fwd) Urgent: Organizations using open source

Sufyan Kakakhel <sufyan.kakakhel@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> The said department is hesitant and putting different objections.
> Now they say, please give us some success stories of some
> organizations where open source (linux as operating system) has been
> deployed on desktop level.
>
> Any one of you, who is aware of any such organization please forward
> me the names of organizations, with a contact point, phone numbers/
> emails etc. ASAP..

Hi Sufyan.  Unfortuately, I don't have contact points and such, but
I maintain a webpage which contains links to news articles which can
be used as reasoning to use Linux instead of Windows.

  http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

The content there is varied, and includes everything from news about
Microsoft's monopolistic behavior to horrible worms and viruses that plague
Windows users.  However, there's a 'filter' you can apply to the listing
which includes pro-Linux topics:

  http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=linux

Pay special note to articles which also have "Capitol" icons next to them
as those would cover both Linux/Open Source success _AND_ government
organizations around the world.
(You can filter for "Fed" articles via:
http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=fed ... unfortunately, I have no method
for filtering on BOTH, but it should be fast enough to skim the article
titles :^) )

Another good site I just (re)discovered is O'Reilly's "OSdir.com" news site:

  http://www.osdir.com/

Some recent articles there, for example, include:

  Cuba dumps Windows for Linux
  http://www.osdir.com/Article5566.phtml

and:

  Intel, Novell say Linux gains on Microsoft Brazil
  http://www.osdir.com/Article5549.phtml

Good luck!!!

--
-bill!