Re: newdriftbok German translation

On 2005 March 28 Monday 21:03, David C. Weichert wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Manuela and I started translating the Newdriftbook. Based on Version
> 1.73 of newdriftbok.en.sgml as found in the CVS
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/skolelinux/www/dokumentasjon/newdriftbok/. We will later do diffs with the version current then.

good news!!! Be aware that the english translation is still not finished.

> We are *not* using PO and Makefiles, instead we successfully used the
> Docbook XSLT Stylesheets to generate HTML and PDF previews. We think
> this makes translation of large documents easier. So far we have
> translated the preface and first chapter to German.

We talked about this subject not using *.po files before. In general
skolelinux uses *.po files, because the have some tecnical
benefits. But I understand, that it is difficult to get the meaning
from a book by reading small pieces. But there is nothing
against, storing a book in small pieces.

Wy not translating at once and then putting the strings into
 a *.po file?

> If you are interested in what we have so far please send me an email and
> I will send you a .tgz with the current version. To help coordinate
> collaboration in the future, the use of CVS would be great:
>
> BART and CHRISTIAN please tell us your preferred procedure!

Mybe Bart has some more Ideas how to fix this.

> Happy Easter to you all
> Manuela & David

Yours
Christian