Re: Why CMS instead of integration with Debian web?

On 14-03-2005 19:36, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> If I would be able to decide I would put the static content to this
>>> place and would go only for the dynamic content (developer gatherings,
>>> dates, whatever) with any CMS of your choice.
>>
>> Perhaps the Skolelinux web content is considered generally less static
>> than that of the Debian website?
>
> Sure - that's why I proposed to have a static part and something you
> could do with some more simple things.  Even WikiMedia might do.  But
> I must have missed something if there is not a certain amount of
> information
> which is quite static and not really such a moving target that debian-www
> would not fit.

Current Skolelinux logic seems to be that static content should be
stored in CVS (as plain text, OpenOffice, PDF, HTML or whatever you like).

Skolelinux seems to want static content loadable directly into a CMS
that and being able to mark each individual page as needed/wanted for
translation and with whatever was the master language of the page as core.

It makes better sense to be defining an area for "top down" documents
written in english and translateable by Debian translation teams.
Perhaps another similar area with norwegian as the prime language. Those
two areas should be done the Debian way, to have it translated by the
Debian translation teams into the 20+ languages actively maintained
there. Aside from that each language with active participants in
Skolelinux could then be given a CMS to throw in documents of their own,
to support local activities.

>> I think I heard that when initially setting up the Skolelinux Plone site
>> it was chosen to _not_ use a layout of a single master language
>> (english) and have all other languages translated from that. Instead,
>> each language sub-site was made independent of the others. So maybe the
>> additional maintainance burden on all language teams was chosen
>> deliberately in order to preserve the freedom of everybody being the
>> webmaster or something?
>
> Hmmmm, wasn't the argument that ist should be easy to provide content
> even for teachers.  If this should really work I wished I would have
> choosen the teacher study curses to reach such high intellectual skills
> to learn to heard this can of worms.

I became aware of these things at the Skolelinux gathering in january: A
short meeting was held to discuss(?) switching to eZ, but it turned out
the decision was made already and the meeting was just to acknowledge
the decision.

It seems noone wants to enlighten us publicly - aside from Knut who
carefully writes the technical reasons as rumors, not something he take
responsibility for himself, even though he attended that same short
meeting as me in january and he was the one agressively stopping my
questions then.

>> No need to cc debian-edu - the list is, ahem, subscribed to itself... ;-)
>
> ;-))) thanks for the hint ... :)
> (on the other hand I doubt that because it would be a recursive mailing
> list which would run Denial of service attacks against itself.)

Well - do you then continue to cc the list as some kind of
countermeassure to those race conditions? :-P

(you target the lsit _and_ cc the list - no need to do that)

 - Jonas

- --