Re: Personal ideas

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 21:56, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:
> > Is this where you live? Micronesia? At loney planet I read:
> >
> > Full country name: Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
> >  Area: 185 sq km
> >  Population: 80,006
> >  Capital City: Saipan
> >  People: Filipino (34%), Chamorro (30%), Chinese (12%), Micronesian
> >          (8%), Carolinian (5%)
> >  Language: English, Japanese, Korean, Chamorro
> >
> > Does Redmond support these languages? In Norway, languages have been
> > the seed of Skolelinux!
>
> Maybe people will begin to realize this.  Some of these languages have
> less than 100,000 speakers, so who is going to work on the support?

if it's an 'official language' it should be possible to get government
support for the translation effort. It's happening in for example South
Africa (23 official languages if I recall correctly), and Norway.

If it isn't, then it's up to 'just' the users of that language, if there's
enough interest in a local language version then it can be done. That's the
beaty of Free Software it empowers you to chang things yourself, or hire
somebody who can.
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team