Re: webmin translation and encoding question

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 14:34, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> how are the config.info.XX files in webmin generated?

by the scripts in po-webmin (po2webmin specifically) [1]

> i noticed that the module config pages are displayed in
> ISO-8859-1 encoding, while the strings in config.info are utf-8.
>
> can we generate them in latin1 right away?

<groan>, yes this can be done, in fact that used to be the case:
This was changed recently [2] because supposedly our modules are using utf-8
(instead of the default webmin-encodings).

Can anyone tell me conclusively:
- whether our modules use utf-8 or not?
- if they do use utf-8, does that go for the entire module or only for the
  lang/XX files (with the config.info.XX files, and module.info using the
  webmin default?)
- wether it is possible to autodetect the encoding used by a
  module/different parts of a module? If so how?
  The webmin documentation I've seen sofar is rather sparse on the subject
  the only place I can find any mention about encodings is [3]. It says
  their that there's a 'lang_list.txt'-file in the webmin root dir which
  supposedly determines which encodings are used by webmin for which
  languages (defaulting to iso-8859-1 if nothing specified).

> is that problem only in wlus or is it also in the netgroups and
> backup module?

I need to check but I think webmin-ldap-skolelinux was the only module
changed this way.

[1] source of which can be found in the webmin-i18n dir in skolelinux cvs
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2005/01/msg00233.html
[3] http://www.webmin.com/modules.html#newlang
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):