Re: Using squidguard blacklists in skolelinux(.de)

On Monday 17 January 2005 21:11, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 19:43, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> > Some people I know would squeak now: "how dare you publish
> > dangerous URLs on an open list like this" :)
>
> You don't get AIDS from a bad URL,
> that's just an urban legend!
>
> >  As a matter of fact, secretaries who are paid for collecting
> > such URLs wouldn't hand them out - in the fear of abuse.

I would be _extremely_ wary about using any blacklist I can't check the urls
of. Such lists (used for example by most known blocking software such as
netnanny, cyber patrol, ...) have an extremely bad track record. In
practice it has been shown time and again that at some point those lists
get influenced by some unoffical agenda, blocking things like sites about
birth control, aids-prevention, gay rights, alternative religions, and in
at least one case the site from Amnesty International [1].

See also www.peacefire.org, one of the groups fighting to expose blocking
software's biased view.

[1] http://www.peacefire.org/amnesty-intercepted/
--