Proposal: Virtual CD Webmin Module

Hi there,

before putting it away into bugzilla's wishlist, I'd like to present an
idea just coming into my mind. Maybe it is already there - or you
consider it bullsh* as it serves mainly windos. But well:

With linux, it is virtually _very_ easy to mount an iso image as virtual
drive, using the command line. For teachers, a GUI like a webmin module
is needed.

Prepositions.

Let $ISOPATH be the location of a limited amount of ISO images, named
"IMAGE<nnn>.ISO" each, where <nnn> is a unique 3-digit number in
ascending order.

Let /mnt/vcd<i> be possible mount points for Virtual CDs (i=0..9).

In order to supply a virtual CD drive X: for a windows client based on
ISO Image <nnn>, these steps must be done:

 (i) mount -o loop $ISOPATH/IMAGE<nnn>.ISO /mnt/vcd<i>/
 (ii) add  a section [vcd<i>] into smb.conf and restart
            smbd (this needs actually only be done once)
(iii) call "net use X: //tjener/vcd<i>" from windows client.

The webmin module I think of just lists all available ISO images, then
activates on demand by mounting according to step (i).

One could also discuss that all available images will be mounted by
default, then there needs only a locally run windows tool to select
which samba shares to "net use" where.

Adding further images on base of locally existing CDs could be another
task of such webmin module. However I'd reccomend uploading ISO images
exclusively locally at Tjener - 700 MB via LAN takes its time. Then, a
curses-tool should be prefared.

Curious about your opinions => please discuss ;)

Thanks
Regards
Ralf.