		   HOW TO INSTALL SKOLELINUX WITHOUT USING AUTOPARTKIT

Author: Finn-Arne Johansen faj@bzz.no

This Document is released under the GNU General Public License, version 2.
On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

Disclaimer
----------
 The Author takes no responsibility whatsoever if following this howto
 breaks your existing installation, your leg, burns down your house,
 or make you loose your job.

Introduction
-----------

This HOWTO is based on the work done at the BzzWare AS, to have a
Skolelinux installation on a machine were there already exist other
installations, both of GNU Linux and propriatary OS

The target Audience for this HOWTO should have some experience with GNU
Linux and should know the basics of partitions and mountpoints.

Partitions
----------
The Machine, where this installation was performed, already had one Debian
Sarge installation, one Windows 2000, one Windows XP, and one Skolelinux
standalone installation. The Standalone installation was sacrificed and
instead a Combined server (Main+LTSP) was installed instead.

The partition schema is as follows

	root@fajx300:~# sfdisk -uM -l

	Disk /dev/hda: 7296 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
	Units = mebibytes of 1048576 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

		 Device Boot Start   End    MiB    #blocks   Id  System
		 /dev/hda1         0+   478-   479-    489951   83  Linux
		 /dev/hda2   *   478+  5247-  4770-   4883760    7  HPFS/NTFS
		 /dev/hda3      5247+ 10017-  4770-   4883760    7  HPFS/NTFS
		 /dev/hda4     10017+ 57231- 47215-  48347617+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
		 /dev/hda5     10017+ 14786-  4770-   4883728+  83  Linux
		 /dev/hda6     14786+ 57231- 42446-  43463826   8e  Linux LVM

/dev/hda1 is the Debian Sarge root partition
/dev/hda2 is for Win2k
/dev/hda3 is for WinXP
/dev/hda5 was the old standalone instllation
/dev/hda6 is LVM, with swap, /usr /home, /var and other partitions for
          the Debian Sarge installation

First stage of installation
---------------------------

Boot of the CD, enter "expert" on the "boot:" prompt
Choose your language, country and keyboard to your preferences.
Detect and mount CD.
  My CDROM is USB based, so I needed to choose usbstorage (automatically
  detected)
  I do not need PCCard services on my laptop

Load installation components
  eject
  load cdrom
  load installer
  lvm-cfg

Choose Skolelinux Profile:
  For this excersize i choose Main and Thin-client-server
  Remember that you either need a Main server on your network, or you
  may install a standalone

Detect Hardware
  I choose ide-detect, generic and ide-disk, but I guess you can go with
  the default, which loads a lot of modules, and i think generates a
  lot of questions

LVM usage:
  If you want to use LVM partitions you have to switch to the second Console:
    Alt+F2
      modprobe lvm-mod
      vgscan
      vgchange -ay
    Alt+F1 to get back again

Partition a Harddrive
  You should be sent to a cfdisk session, where you may create partitions if
  you want to, But I did not need to. I think you have to reboot if you
  have already loaded the lvm-module, and prepared to use LVM.

  In case you are not sent to cfdisk, or it fails, here is what to do:
     create a directory /target, which is where the debian-installer installs
     all the programs, in other words, this is the root for the installation.
          mkdir /target
     Create and mount all the file systems that you want to use for the
     installation of Skolelinux. In my case I only wanted to have ones
     partition for this on the laptop, namely /dev/hda5. This name does not
     exists at this point in the installation, instead it is named
     /dev/discs/disc0/part5 . Please note that the target root partition needs
     to be formatted as ext2 - not ext3, which will be changed later on in the
     installation process. So, formatting and mounting:
          mkfs.ext2 /dev/discs/disc0/part5
          mount -t ext2 /dev/discs/disc0/part5 /target
     If you have other file systems, then do likewise for these and mount
     them the proper place in the /target tree.
  With this done you can skip the next point (Configure and mount) on the menu.

Configure and Mount
  I choose my /dev/hda5 for root, and nothing else. After installation
  is done I find that there is used 1.7G, and I have 2.8G left on a
  5G partition. I think you should prepare at least 2560MB on that
  partition. You may look at the files under /etc/autopartkit when you
  have booted from the CD to see how much space you actually need.
  Use Ext2 for filesystem for the root partition, since Skolelinux 1.0
  will convert ext2 into ext3 later.
  Make a note on how you did setup your partitions, you need it later.

Install Base system
  Continue with installation, but when you get to the point were the
  installation ask you which kernel to install, you need to do some work
  on the second console.

Select Kernel
  Since you are doing things manually, you need to create your /etc/fstab
  on the target
  Switch to the second console again (Alt+F2)
  then I did:
    echo "/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 0 1
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /tmp  tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0 0" > /target/etc/fstab

  Remember once again to use ext2, and not ext3 for the
  filesystems. Switch back to "kernel select" with Alt+F1

  install the only availible kernel "kernel-image-2.4.26-1-386"

Finish installation
  The installer will try to install Grub, but if you like me, dont want to
  destroy your carefully crafted Grub setup, then do install grub on the
  same partition as you are installing on (for me that means /dev/hda5)

when done, please reboot

If you did not install grub on the Master Boot Record (/dev/hda), then
you may have to do some magic to boot from your new installation
when your old grub menu shows up, please press "C" to do a command line
grub boot.
I have to enter the following on the grub prompt:
 root (hd0,4)
 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro
 initrd /initrd.img
 boot

Your milage may vary

Initial document by finnarne 2004-07-31
Some corrrections and additions by keld 2005-01-07