Re: Auto-upgrade packages?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:14:07AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Is <URL:http://www.sage-ie.org/slides/case_study/automation/>
> something we should be using?

This works extremely well (I admin two networks where it's used), but
it's not automatic updates per se, rather apticron downloads the
packages and notifies the admin that updates need to be run. This is
typically done using a script which sshes into a role-account with sudo
priviledges to run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade...

Requiring a human to actually do the updates is good, since if something
falls over the human is there to fix it immediately, and kinda prevents
potential hijacking of the process, in that a human is inspecting the
packages that are being upgraded. The apticron package certainly makes
it easy to know that your entire network is all up to date as it should
be (as it will complain nightly if this is not the case), I reccomend
the use of it in debian-edu.

Brian.