Re: NFS tuning?

Am Samstag, 11. Dezember 2004 17:03 schrieb Ralf Gesel|ensetter:
> as I suspected NFS to be a brake in performance, I looked around for
> information on how to tune NFS.

Here, I got a collection of interesting URLs:
 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=960123
 http://www.unixcircle.com/features/nfs.php
 There:
  Tuning NFS
  Some suggestions to tune client and server for performance:
  1. If clients and servers are not on the same LAN or the network is
  overloaded, use TCP if possible.
  2. Increase read/write packet data size. Need to increase read/write
  value if experienced some error messages such as ``fragments dropped
  due to timeout'' while still mounting.
  3. Augment the number of NFS server daemons on a busy server.
  4. Bump up the number of kernel threads to serve asynchronous NFS I/O
  requests on the NFS client.

  LINUX:
  1. Use UDP. Only switch to TCP if client/server is not on the same LAN
  or packets get dropped often.
  2. Edit /etc/fstab and on the 4th field which is the filesystem mount
  options, add rsize=32768,wsize=32768 after rw.
  3. The default NFS daemon is 8. Crank up to a high number by
  editting /etc/init.d/nfs and change 8:
  # Number of servers to be started by default
  RPCNFSDCOUNT=8
  to a suitable number.
  4. Not sure if Linux has this feature to tune.

Some hints for diagosing are on
http://billharlan.com/pub/papers/NFS_for_clusters.html

Regards
Ralf