NFS tuning?

Hi there,

as I suspected NFS to be a brake in performance, I looked around for
information on how to tune NFS.

In nfsstat, I realized that 75% of all requests concerned file
attributes. I also experienced system wide delays simultaneous with
requests for direcory contents. Although I can't verify that NFS and
not the NIC is the problem here, I learned about two further options to
tune NFS:

i) async: allow nfs to answer requests from cache (before committing)
   this was common until 1.0, but might lead to data loss if power
   is suddenly turned off.
ii) increase amounts of nfsd threads from 8 to ?

Are there any experiences on the list with this?

At the moment, our TX150 tjener runs 1 LTSP (+ 14 thin clients), 1 Linux
work station, 20 WinNT and 4 Win2k work stations.

Regards
Ralf