Re: NFS disconnects periodically

[Ralf Gesel|ensetter]
> ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0A:E4:0B:9E:7E
>           inet addr:10.0.2.2  Bcast:10.0.3.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> *         RX packets:4913596 errors:4202 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:4202

The errors and frame counts indicate a network problem.  You need to
check the setting on the switch and the network interface, and make
sure these are correct and compatible.

> Here is some interesting snippets from dmesg (no time stamps) that was
> created during net outage:

The same messages should appear in the syslog with timestamps.

Your problem look just like the problems I've seen when the switch and
the network interface had problems agreeing on the protocol settings.

Make sure both are set to autonegotiate, or lock both of them to the
setting you want.

You will have to check the documentation for your switch to find out
how to do it on the switch, and should be able to use ethtool or
mii-tool to fix the linux side.