Re: Does Linux have viruses?

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 01:07:04PM +0100, Conrad Newton wrote:
> >From cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) on Saturday, 2004-12-04 at 10:24:19 +0100:
> > On Saturday 04 December 2004 00:07, Conrad Newton wrote:
>
> Suppose that I get a letter something like this:
>
>    Hi!
>
>    We are typical home users.  We have three computers at home connected
>    to our router, and although we love broadband, this virus situation
>    is getting out of control!
>
>    Our neighbor L has offered to install Linux for us, but before we
>    make such a dramatic change, we want to make sure that our situation
>    will actually improve.  Will it?
>
>    Signed, Typical Home User
>
>    PS  Our other neighbor, M, tells us that Linux also has viruses.
>        Sounds like we are in trouble no matter which way we turn!
>
> Would you send this person to read the above-mentioned article in the
> Register?  I think you see my point . . .
>
> What *should* we tell the Typical Home User???

Dear Home User,

Linux has virtually no known viruses or Trojans: Linux may be a solution
to your virus problem.  Another solution is to stay with Windows and run
programs which do not have some of the vulnerability to viruses - this
will allow you to try alternative software which may make you safer.
[See www.mozilla.org and download Firefox (web browser) and Thunderbird
(email)].

Moving to Linux may also be a good move: Linux replaces Windows,
however, so programs designed for Windows will probably not work.  A
Linux distribution may provide alternatives for all of your
commonly-used programs, including Firefox, Thunderbird and
OpenOffice.org [Full featured office suite compatible with MS Office
file formats.]  You may need some help setting up the system but may
find that it is easier to use and administer in the longer term.

HTH,

Andy