Re: Does Linux have viruses?

>From cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) on Saturday, 2004-12-04 at 10:24:19 +0100:
> On Saturday 04 December 2004 00:07, Conrad Newton wrote:
> > I suppose this is not really the right list for this question, but it is
> > not really wrong either, because I am looking for an answer that is
> > suitable for teachers and students---not advanced computer professionals
> > like yourselves . . .
> >
> > I have been studying this problem, and trying to understand what can
> > be honestly said, ignoring all ideology.
> >
> > While it is clear that it is *much easier* to write viruses for Windows,
> > it does not seem altogether *impossible* that it could be done for
> > Linux, too.  Unfortunately, "much easier" is not easy to quantify, and
> > therefore open to dispute!
> >
> > Of course I would like to make a strong statement, but I also want
> > to be truthful.  Can anyone point me in the direction of
> > well-formulated discussions of this problem?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/#execsummary
> has some great info

Thanks, I have seen this article, but for my purposes I think it is
not so helpful.

Suppose that I get a letter something like this:

   Hi!

   We are typical home users.  We have three computers at home connected
   to our router, and although we love broadband, this virus situation
   is getting out of control!

   Our neighbor L has offered to install Linux for us, but before we
   make such a dramatic change, we want to make sure that our situation
   will actually improve.  Will it?

   Signed, Typical Home User

   PS  Our other neighbor, M, tells us that Linux also has viruses.
       Sounds like we are in trouble no matter which way we turn!

Would you send this person to read the above-mentioned article in the
Register?  I think you see my point . . .

What *should* we tell the Typical Home User???

Conrad