Re: [debian-edu] Does Linux have viruses?

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 00:39, Conrad Newton wrote:
> >From Bill Kendrick on Friday, 2004-12-03 at 15:20:04 -0800:

> > Rick Moen put a pretty long article up about this subject:
> >
> >   http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Thanks, I have seen this set of articles, and I agree that it is
> excellent---only somewhat too highbrow for my intended readership.
> Is there anything available that is less highbrow, but still correct?
> I suspect I cannot find anything better than this.

 I think you are right.  It starts out with the important point:
"Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?"

 That is the right question, to which the answer is a resounding
"NO!"  People have pointed out that there _is_ malware for Linux.
Since the answer to your question is "yes", people will jump to
the conclusion that there should be anti-virus software for Linux.

 Anti-virus have costs.  They require updates, they hog resources,
and on Linux they will hardly gain you any security at all!  Lots
of false alarms, sluggishness and updating, for what?!

 However, this may not be so obvious in the future.  Installing
security updates must become _trivial_ or automatic.  The package
repositories must be integrity-checked (mandatory pgp verification
of packages before installing?), or automatic updates will be too
dangerous.  The distros must provide diagnostic tools and update
services that are so good that anti-virus software will have no
value to add.

--
 Herman Robak