Re: USB sticks/storage

Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

Am Freitag, 12. November 2004 13:47 schrieb Runo Forrisdahl:
Is it possible to connect USB devices to thin clients and access
them? My guess is: No, they need to be connected to the server.

it is (not enabled by default) choose from: - search the mailing list archive - search the howtos on skolelinux.org
- wait until I (or someone else) will have the time to locate it
:)

regards

Make the file usbpen in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.d

containing:

#!/bin/bash

#
# First, since floppyd runs as nobody, make /tmp world accessible.
#

chmod 777 /tmp

#
# Second, probe for the usb
#
modprobe usb-storage
insmod usb-storage

#
# Third, make the usb world accessible.
#
mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
chmod 666 /dev/sd*

#
# Finally, start floppyd.
#
floppyd -d /dev/sda1

Next add something like

RCFILE_01 = usbpen

in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

this is best done for each ltspclient.
Specially if you also use floppyd.
usbpen and floppydisk is mutual exclusive.

Add also the followin line to all users .mtoolsrc
mtools_skip_check=1

This makes some buggy usbpens work.

The only problem is that the ltspclient has to be restarted when you change to another usbpen.

Regards Torstein Dybdhal

The norwegian howto is here:
http://developer.skolelinux.no/~klaus/notater/x1939.html