Re: Workstation Maintainance?

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 01:05:54PM +0100, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Hi there,
> this is about possible improvements for maintaining skolelinux work
> stations. Just another set of ideas - please comment if it makes sense
> and is feasible:
>
> At the moment I hesitate installing an entire lab with slx workstations
> - not (only) because of woody, but rather because of its maintainance.
>
> As write access should mainly go to NFS mounted home directory, isn't it
> possible to mount local drives (except swap) r/o ? This could save
> forced fsck after crude power offs - and prolongue the system' live
> until re-install, too (easily done from CD if there is no dual boot
> solution)
>
> To have a better syncing: how about mounting /etc/apt if not /etc from
> tjener:/skole/workstation/etc or the like? Alternatively some "pull"
> script could load recent stuff from some space on tjener (rsync or
> fai?)

Have a look at
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/installing_SL_to_a_laptop.txt

That is how we set up laptops at Ulsrud. I've since created a package
with some helper script to maintain thos laptop installations. I have
been think for a while where it's best to put those script, for now
I've created a custom package, and it's availible from
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/~finnarne/debian-edu-sysimg/

to use it as an apt-source, add
 deb http://developer.skolelinux.no/ ~finnarne/debian-edu-sysimg/
to your sources list.

It uses systemimager to set up the laptops, and also uses systemimager
to update the laptops
To maybe understand the process, you may read
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/~finnarne/debian-edu-sysimg/README.debian

I'm not quite certain if it should still be a separate package, if it
should be included into system-imager, or if it should be added to
debian-edu-config or somewhere else.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no