Re: How bandwidth requirement could be reduced when using thin clients?

Knut,

Integrating FreeNX into LTSP is something that we are very interested
in. I've had reports from a couple of people who are working on this,
with various levels of success.

I personally haven't had a chance to try it, but I have seen some
demonstrations of NX, and I was quite impressed.

We (the LTSP development team) are planning an LTSP Developers
meeting to take place the weekend of November 6-7, 2004 in Maine,
USA.

One of the leading topics of this developers meeting is the integration
of NX/FreeNX.  I can't say that we will have a working implementation
on November 7th, but at least at that point, we should have a very
good understanding of the issues involved, and how to proceed.

Also on the list of topics for that meeting are:

  LDAP Authentication, possibly with Kerberos
  Local applications
  Local Block and Character device support
  vnc, x11vnc and desktop shadowing
  A Security audit of the LTSP tree

After that meeting, I expect to be in a much better position to report
on the status and expected time frame of each of those items.

I know that packaging of the LTSP packages is important to you, and
I know that Ragnar Wisloff is currently hard at work to accomplish this.
I heard just last week, that he was able to get a working installation
by installing from his deb packages, so I know he's making great
progress.

I personally have migrated almost all of my machines to Debian, so this
puts me in a much better position to help support the packaging of LTSP
for Debian.

Jim McQuillan
jam@Ltsp.org