Will investigate Microsoft's dominance in schools

The Norwegian Competition Authority will investigate claims that the
Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education is flooding schools
with free copies of software behemoth Microsoft's programs. The
Skolelinux (School Linux) foundation and Sunndal Junior High School in
Møre og Romsdal have filed a complaint.

The School Linux project claims the directorate gives away Microsoft
software as part of its program of transferring slightly used equipment
from the business sector to schools, preventing competition in the
educational sector, financial daily Dagens Næringsliv reports.

The case is in an introductory phase and the directorate will have to
answer NCA questions by the first of September.

"We have not had any answers to our questions yet. The inquiry is based
on the requests we have received and we must take them seriously," said
Aleksander Møll at the NCA.

(Aftenposten English Web Desk/NTB)
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article856261.ece

- Knut