Re: LTSP 3/4 XServer and old monitors

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Jerome Warnier wrote:

> The monitor-detection stuff is based on DDC, which needs both graphics
> card and screen to embed a special circuit just to do that. As such, old
> hardware you got won't certainly have that.

Well, that's not exactly what I'm seeing.  In this case we had two monitors
with two pcs.  The teacher installed the main and thin client server on
both pcs with their respective monitors.  In both cases, the server
installer worked and detected the monitor settings.  He then hooked up the
other pc as a thin client and the monitor wasn't detected (in both cases).
He tried booting the thin client with both monitors to no avail.  We used
the frequency settings from the server XF86Config-4 for the client ltsp
setup.

It seems to me that this is a software problem.  Perhaps I have missed
something.

> I think best method in these cases is still to use reasonable defaults or
> consult screen documentation (on paper or online). I know this can be
> really tough.

Well, if there is a set of safe defaults which I could document that would
be great.  I don't mind saying "register mac address for static ip; create
new host in ltsp; set hsync to "XX-YY" and vrefresh to "AA-BB" but I don't
want it to begin with "determine the monitors vrefresh and hsync ranges"
which is a little non-trivial.  I don't want to write a doc which sometimes
breaks monitors though!

Unfortunately the funding for schools' IT equipment here is close to
non-existent so people generally would be using old donated equipment.
This monitor problem is a real killer for a person inexperienced with X (ie
most school teachers).

Gavin