Re: LTSP 3/4 XServer and old monitors

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 01:05, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Jerome Warnier wrote:
>
> > Well, not really a suggestion, but it seems rather weird to me that a
> > thin client could have a CDROM drive to boot Knoppix. Am I the only one?
>
> Most of our thin clients are old desktop machines.  While we might remove
> the cd-rom, etc when rolling them out we can certainly use one while
> initially configuring them.  Really it's a monitor thing not a pc thing so
> what I hope to do is collate settings for each monitor type.  The monitor
> could always be hooked to a desktop machine just for this.
>
> Again, these are things I would have no problem doing and I recently talked
> a teacher through it over the phone, but it's a pretty complicated sequence
> to document and recommend to a beginner.
>
> > Better use some LTSP modified just to do that, but then, why doesn't
> > LTSP provide it from the first time?
>
> I'm unsure how the main installer detects hardware (I suspect read-edid
> package as it is mentioned in xserver-xfree86 Debian package description)
> but it gets it bang on even on the old monitors.  Apparently LTSP uses
> something a little less clever.  Perhaps ltsp4 will be better?
The monitor-detection stuff is based on DDC, which needs both graphics
card and screen to embed a special circuit just to do that. As such, old
hardware you got won't certainly have that. I think best method in these
cases is still to use reasonable defaults or consult screen
documentation (on paper or online). I know this can be really tough.

--
Jerome Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>
BeezNest s.a r.l.