Re: [debian-edu] Debian-Edu in Malaysia?

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:08:48AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

Hi,

according to

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2004/7/16/technology/8461653&sec=technology

"20% of school computer labs to have OSS applications such as
productivity suites installed."

Does Debian-Edu have a basis in Malaysia?

I'm not sure if it's related, but I heard that "Knoppix for Kids" (which in turn is Debian-based) was picked up at LWE 2003 in SF, tweaked a little, and then deployed to something like 15,000
computers in Malaysia!

I heard the same thing.  What really caught my attention at LW was that
Leilanie Mohd Nor, Project Manager with the Open Source Competency
Center (OSCC) in Malaysia, was attending and learning.  The above
article refers to the OSCC as follows:

He was speaking at the launch of the Open Source Competency Centre
(OSCC) that would serve as the focal point of all OSS-related
activities in the country, and also part of the masterplan.

The centre would be "the main reference point, the pulse that drives
(the Government's) OSS implementation," he added.

The masterplan's near-term targets that might have an immediate
impact on public sector suppliers include having 60% of all new
servers able to run OSS operating systems, 30% of office
infrastructure -- like e-mail, DNS, proxy servers -- on OSS, and 20%
of school computer labs to have OSS applications such as productivity
suites installed.

I am just a newcomer to this list and do not consider myself the appropriate liaison. I would like to pass her contact information to someone who is. Debian-edu, and, for that matter, Debian, fit in perfectly with their national sovereignty goals.

aloha

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford