Re: order of NICs by new debian-installer

tirsdag 25. mai 2004, 22:18, skrev Patrick Willam:
> Dear Experts,
>
> is it possible (or even likely) that...
> ...the new [skolelinux-]debian-installer puts two NICs in
> a different order than an older version of it?
>
> * unchanged hardware
> * unchanged BIOS settings
> * Skolelinux PRxy (a few months ago)
>    => NIC#1 = eth0 & NIC#2 = eth1
> * Skolelinux RC2 + CVS (woody-raw) 2004-05-23
>    => NIC#1 = eth1 & NIC#2 = eth0 ??
>
> Today we installed a new version of Skolelinux 'over' an old one
> (versions: see above), which means deleting the old one by
> doing autopartitioning (& formatting) the harddisk.
> We chose the main-server profile today as we did it last time.
>
> Afterwards we had serious networking problems. It seemed like
> the 'new' main-server could not be reached despite the fact
> that no changes to the hardware (including the network-hardware)
> had been made.
>
> Our main-server has two Ethernet-NICs.
> Today we didn't have the time to go into detail with this problem,
> therefore all I can say is: we think the assignment of the NICs has
> changed.
>
> Tomorrow we will look further into it, so we would like to know:
> Is this change in NIC-assignment with unchanged hardware possible?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping us sorting this out, so that we
> can take our suspection into account furthermore or disregard it
> when we will continue our tryings tomorrow.
>
> With best wishes,
> Patrick Willam & Monika Tiemann
>
> --
> Coffeecup empty - Userpanic!

If you need to have the networkcards in a different order, then  you
could specify which card should be eth0 and eth1 by specifying eth0
module first in /etc/modules like this:

3c59x
tg3

this makes the card with 3c59x be eth0 and the card with tg3 be eth1.

- --
Klaus