monthly report

I'm supposed to do monthly reports as well as weekly ones, and I find to
my suprise that a month has rolled by since I began to work on
skolelinux, so here goes.

This was my first month with the project, so it involved a certian
amount of learning about things and familiarisaton with the code,
infrastructure, and people. To an extent this is still ongoing, but I
have most of the information that I need to do my work now. Thanks to
everyone who answered my questions, set up my accounts, etc.

I've been splitting most of my time between leading the debian-installer
project, which is key to the release of sarge and debian-edu on sarge;
and working on various parts of debian-edu needed to make it work with
sarge.

On the d-i front, we have made one beta release in the past month, which
works pretty well, and are close to ready with our first release
candidate. It seems likely that after that point, debian-installer will
stop being a blocking issue for sarge release; we will have a
well-working installer and sarge will either release or be delayed by
the other usual issues such as release critical bugs, politics (sigh),
etc. d-i occupied most of my working time during the beginning of the
month, and I've been making changes that let me scale back on the time I
need to spend on d-i, and hope this will scale back further ones it's
basically ready for release.

On the debian-edu in sarge front, I've gotten the debian-edu sarge CDs
from something that didn't install a debian-edu system, to something
that now would (sort of), if the whole system could only fit on a single
CD anymore. This took quite a lot of work on base-config,
debian-edu-install, debian-edu tasks, debian-cd, and other things. It
involved much waiting for slow CD builds and downloads, which was mostly
filled with d-i work.

I had hoped to have a CD that installed the packages in debian-edu by
the end of the first month's work, as an intermediate point to the goal
of having a mostly working debian-edu sarge CD ready within two months.
Of course I hope not to need to do everything on my own once I have a
minally working CD that others, who have more experience with how
debian-edu should look and work, can try. At the moment I am behind on
this goal, and I will need to devote a larger fraction of time to it to
still make it. I hope to have a local mirror and a fast build machine at
home soon (within the next 2 weeks), and that should speed up the CD
test process a lot for me.

Besides getting the CD ready, my other main goal for next month is to
work on testing security isses. So far the plans are too vague to write
more about that.

I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone in the
debian-edu/skolelinux project has about the work I'm doing and how I'm
doing it. It's been a pleasure to work with you this past month.

--
see shy jo