Re: Samba, ldap and adding machine accounts.

[Finn-Arne Johansen]
> I repeat: Samba needs to store a password on disk.

As you are well aware, I am not happy with doing this.

> But then samba was not able to create SAM_ACCOUNT as samba called
> it.

What does this mean?

> The problem then was that getent passwd only listed to users from
> OU=People.

Why was this a problem?  Isn't that where the users are?  'getenet
passwd' should not list machines, right?

> To fix this I needed to comment out a line in /etc/libnss-ldap.conf, so
> the line that are actually in there now is:
>   host ldap
>   base dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
>   # nss_base_passwd ou=People,

Would this list machines when doing 'getent passwd'?

> To summon up:
> smbadmin needs permission to add an object with the following
> objectclasses: posixAccount, top, sambaSamAccount

Why must a machine have a posixAccount?

> It needs to have permission to write to these entries:
> dn, objectClass, uid, uidNumber, gidNumber, homeDirectory, cn and
> loginShell, as well as the samba* -entries

Why must a machine have uid, uioNumber, gidNumber and homeDirectory?

> well, looking at the schema, I see that loginShell is optional, but
> what happens if someone tries to login in with that account ?

How can it be possible to log using a machine account?

> Also we can limmit writeaccess to the ou=Machines, if that is possible.

This sounds like the very least we should do.

BTW: Isn't there some register setting one can use in windows 2k/xp to
get the machine to log in as win95/98?

> So we have 4 options:
> 1 Create a gui for Adding Machine Accounts to the normal ou=People, and
>   let samba add objectClass sambaSamAccount, with the necessary
>   entries.

I need more info on the sambaSamAccount before I understand this
option.

> 2 Let samba add entries to ou=People through our script
>   smbaddclient.pl, and the stored password. smbadmin_does_not_need_to
>   have write access to the userPassword paramater

I am worried about the write access without an administrator present,
and less about the individual attributes.