Re: Too many default groups in Skolelinux' LDAP schema?

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 10:32, Ragnar Wisloff wrote:
> There's been an entertaining discussion about this :-)
>
> Let me just make the comment that too many groups will create real
> problems, no matter what the naming scheme is. Since NFS will honour no
> more than 16 groups,

 YIKES!

> users logging in to a thin client server (which
> mounts the home dirs etc. using NFS) will risk not
> being able to use common file storage set aside for
> a specific group.

 The LDAP frontend must (MUST!!!) enforce this
limitation, and warn the admin once it is encountered.
Failing silently is not an option.

>  We have diagnosed this problem at one school at least,
> where one of the teachers was a member of 28 groups.

 At the school where my cousin is IT admin (i.e. a teacher
who got the additional chore of being sysadmin) I suspect
the number of groups have already exceeded 16.  Some of
the newly added users could not log in.

--
 Herman Robak