Re: Vietnam

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 09:15, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> people who understand German should read
>
>        http://www.pro-linux.de/cgi-bin/NB2/nb2.cgi?show.6584.7010..
>
> (last pragraph).
>
> Any actions done to ensure SkoleLinux world domination???

 Not that I've heard of.  As far as I know, Vietnam is doing
this to get in "compliance" with Western copyright laws (soon
to become global copyright laws).

 Vietnam has mandated that new computers be sold with a
properly licenced operating system.  In Vietnam, a "naked"
computer really means a computer ready for a bootlegged
copy of MS Windows.
 Of course, the Vietnamese market cannot bear the cost of
a legitimate Windows licence for every sold computer, so
they mandated Linux.  The retailers can afford to comply,
and the customer gets a computer that boots, has the basic
set of applications, and can do networking.

 Global copyright enforcement helps Linux.

 The GPL attempted to rig the playing field to
disfavour proprietary software.  It's working.
Now the patent lobby are working hard on rigging
it the opposite way.

--
 Herman Robak