Re: Not a discussion list?

Le mar 02/03/2004 à 13:04, Sajith VK a écrit :

> And me:
> I am From India, and am trying to spread the news of
> Free Softwares here. Several school teachers have shown interest
> in Free Softwares.
> Several school teachers complainted about unavailablity of
> Educational softwares in the Distrbutions they uses. So I searched
> a lot for an Education GNU/Linux. Freeduc from ofset seems tobe
> good for demonstration, but not enough for our schools.

Hello,

I am one of the guy behind Freeduc-cd from OFSET
(http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd). I want to emphasis that the
Freeduc-cd project has been supported by the UNESCO.

You are absolutely true when you say Freeduc is good for demonstration.
We have developped Freeduc-cd (since 2002) for this exact purpose to let
know to the teacher which education oriented applications are available
out there. Also as we wanted to emphasis the application and not the
Desktop we have choosen a light but consistant Desktop (XFCE 3).  The
Desktop has been set up so it is usable in various European language,
you just need to set (knoppix lang=xx) at the boot time (Where xx can be
fr, it, en, es, de, nl, cs)

In Freeduc you will find very unique feature as embedded WIMS server
(http://wims.unice.fr) to manage virtual mathematic classroom, a
dictionnary server and a wide range of application as some cool one as
Xrmap (a simple but effective SIG). For an almost complete list of
applications see the page at http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd. There you
will find documentation

At OFSET we would have been happy to see other cooperating with us to
produce the next Freeduc-cd but we did not fully succeed in that.
However we are very interested cooperating with Skolelinux because it
bring a complementary answer to Freeduc-cd.

Please Sajith considers cooperating if you found it relevant.

Best regards,

Hilaire

--
CDDP des Landes