Re: Not a discussion list?

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 17:19, Sajith VK wrote:
> Hi,
> Skolelinux is one of the project we planned to use.
> (as It is listed in ofset.org) But nothing is now available in
> English, in there web page.

 The amount of translated documentation is
significantly larger than nothing, although
a lot remains.

For starters, have a look at the architecture
<http://developer.skolelinux.no/arkitektur/arkitektur.html.en>

> Of cause skolelinux will be better
> product than ours, and in some future time, we too need to switch
> to it, but not now.
> The motivation behind our project is to get Debian GNU/Linux
> installed in schools here. The best way was to have a custom morphix
> distribution.

 For standalone workstations, yes.

Have you outlined a network and server
setup that can be rolled out quickly?

How about thin clients?  Old 486 boxes will
be pretty sluggish as workstations, but they
are quite capable as thin clients. (caveat:
their ISA network interfaces can cause a lot
of hazzle)

How many workstations/terminals will a typical
Indian school have?  If it's more than a dozen,
you will want a file server, and a some kind of
central authentication server.  Indian schools
are quite big, I presume?

--
 Herman Robak