Re: lessdisks: client with only 20MB ram

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:21:51AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Hi!
> By accident I configured a diskless machine with only 20MB ram. It has
> been running fine for weeks, and I found out when I plugged in a USB
> device and the music streamed to the box clicked (because the kernel
> desperately tried to kill processes to make room).

so 20 MB was sufficient until you tried to stream music to the box ?

> It has been said several times on this (and/or the norwegian) list that
> LTSP clients must be 32+ MB or use network swapping.

In the current configuration, yes.

> On this machine with (according to free) only 20 MB ram, in addition to
> XFree86 I run esd, mc and sshd on the box. This also means I have access
> to manipulate it: Tell me what to test - which applications executed on
> a truly thin client that are expected to eat memory on the client.

I think the application that eats memory is using XFS on the
application-server.

> I suspect LTSP ram requirements might be caused by memory leaks in X11
> font handling code or similar, which might not be an issue when using
> the X11 binaries thoroughly patched and packaged for Debian (as is the
> case when using lessdisks instead of LTSP).

THat may be, and that is also the reason why I want to use lessdisks.
But as far as I remember thing werer running smoothly with 16MB without
swap before we activated xfs.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no