Re: bandwidth throttling LTSP machines.

On 06-10-2004 18:22, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
| Dear Gavin,
|
| thank you for addressing this topic. From my experiences, I'd plea for
one
| LTSP server per room - unless there is only adult internet users using
thin
| clients. I have some pupils who make fun of running top and then
competing
| for the hightest CPU share. As we have a dual processor machine, there is
| still headroom, but sometimes they manage to slow down things.
|
| Personally, my knowledge of linux plus root access is enough to tell
who does
| it, and to kill their processes. But if they were in different rooms
(or the
| teacher is no admin), there might be problems.
|
| More often, however, I feel it is this ancient kde2 causing timing
problems.
| Kind of stepping onto its own feet (if this saying is any international).
|
| Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 16:40 schrieb Gavin McCullagh:
|
|> This would
|>create stadard iproute throttling rules which would cause the ltsp client
|>to constrict it's own bandwidth usage to something reasonable/tunable
(like
|>say 4MB/sec default).
|

| Bandwidth throttling sounds sound to me - should be on average,
however (to
| admit peaks). If there is such thing - why not! The question is, of
course,
| where the real bottleneck is - with some animations it (still) might be
| bandwidth (until NX), if it is the CPU, have multiple processors.
Considering
| a 1GBit uplink for ltspserver (provided a supporting switch), could be
worth
| a try, too (ten times the bandwith!).

Sounds like WRR (Debian binary package kernel-patch-wrr) to me:

~ The WRR scheduler is an extension to the Traffic Control/network
~ bandwidth management part of the Linux 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.
~ The scheduler was developed to support distributing bandwidth
~ on a shared Internet connection fairly between local machines.
~ .
~  * As a default all local machines will get equally much
~    of the bandwidth if they have sufficient demand. This
~    is obtained by doing so-called weighted round robin (wrr)
~    scheduling.
~  * It is possible to give machines transferring much data
~    over a long or short period of time less bandwidth.
~  * It can work on a bridge, a router or on a firewall.
~  * Supports accounting locally generated masqueraded packets
~    to the correct local machine.
~  * On the WRR home page an extension is available which
~    includes patches for Squid and the Nec socks5 proxy servers
~    so that proxied packets can also be accounted to the
~    correct local machine.
~  * Includes a configuration file based set of scripts that
~    will setup everything without changing your basic network
~    setup. The scripts will allow you to shape both incoming
~    and outgoing traffic.

~ - Jonas

- --

~ - Enden er nær: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm