Re: How bandwidth requirement could be reduced when using thin clients?

onsdag 6. oktober 2004, 01:35, skrev Ben Higginbottom:
> Only Linux would be nice to have, but A) The teachers would lynch me
> and B) Despite they develpment work we carried out on WINE for the
> dual boot , theres still far to many national curriculum approved
> packages that only work within windows.

In Norway the the Norwegian Competition Authority has instructed the
Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education to support open
standards in education. The Directorate are also investigated for
supporting[1] Microsoft by flooding schools with free copies of
software behemoth Microsoft's programs. In a meeting with Skolelinux
1th of september the Directorate promised[2] to give 100% support to
schools that uses Skolelinux. So the tables has turned. They who don't
support free software has to explain them self to the Competition
Authority. They who recomended us to take contact with the Competition
Authority was the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

[1] http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article856261.ece
[2]
http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/referater/20040901_utdanningsdirektoratet.txt

When it comes to user evaluation of Skolelinux, The municipal department
of education in Oslo has tested Skolelinux at three schools. They
report the same as Statskonsult that says[3]:

  Skolelinux is a good product for the schools, satisfying all
  of the main needs of the schools. It is inexpensive, stable and
  can be used together with varous learning platforms and
  learning portals. Using thin clients, Skolelinux in a
  school environment is less expensive to acquire and
  operate than different Windows versions.
  [...]
  According to our evaluation, Skolelinux is well suited for
  use in the school.

[3] Report 2003:24 Experiences from the Use of Skolelinux:
  Use of OpenSource Software at Four Norwegian Schools:
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/statskonsult_2003_24_eng.pdf

- Knut