Re: How bandwidth requirement could be reduced when using thin clients?

mandag 04 oktober 2004, 21:08, skrev Vagrant Cascadian:
> it is called "Lessdisks" or "lessdisks" :)

Tanks. Fixed in the document :-)

> > I'll appreciate your comments on this document Jim, Jonas and
> > others:
> > http://developer.skolelinux.no/driftskonsepter/2004-09-06-thin-clie
> >nts.html
>
> i'm curious about several things in the chart.
>
> is the "3. alt." "Lessdisk" exploring lessdisks as a "half-thick
> client"?

It's a figure of speak. When a user application runs at the local CPU,
not the server, then I call it half-thick.

> what are the memory requirements based on?  i've mostly used
> lessdisks with 32-64MB of ram.

I corrected it.

> what does the "Band width" mean? it is a range of used bandwidth,
> from boot-up to average useage?  does that include loading the initrd
> at boot-time?  there are some simple machanisms to reduce the size of
> the initrd dramatically, which will save a lot of bandwidth during
> boot.

"band width" is a unfortunate misspelling of bandwidth.

> i hope to have a new upstream lessdisks release by the end of the
> week, with some significant changes and improvements.

We have questions concerning use of bandwidth, maintenance, and
integration with Skolelinux. Finn-Arne will follow this up tomorrow ...

- K