Re: configuration of postoffice / kmail?

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 11:30:34AM +0200, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2004 14:49 schrieb Ralf Gesel|ensetter:
> > - double check
>
> Hi, now it is myself again replying. Together with Patrick W., we checked the
> setup again. As a matter of fact, kmail is not preconfigured (apart from the
> user name in identity). After some trials, we managed to get imap running
> this time with kmail (SSL must be activated).
>
> Fetching mail through POP3 eventually failed - and apparently there is not
> even a pop3 deamon installed. After some discussions we agreed, that it is
> virtually not necessary to have a pop3 service, as the mail can be read by
> imap as well (they stay on the server either case). Only for teaching
> reasons, pop3 should be available.

pop3 should be dead, long live imap :)

> Alas, we didn't copy the working settings from kmailrc. This has to be done in
> order to prepare some /etc/skel/..../kmailrc to be working out of the box.

Problem is that you have to set up the username as well, and this
changes for each user. The same with password. Will it work to provide
all the other things, and will the username then be set automagically.
I guess we could spend some hours to test this as well, but obviously,
noone has cared. so please do, and if you find a working kmailrc for
/etc/skel, then include this, and tell us through the changelog.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no